By Matt Jones, sports editor
The Hokies just finished up their intrasquad scrimmage this morning. Here are a few thoughts, as well as the scoring tally.
Note: There were five 4-minute periods. There were no foul shots.
- Erick Green clearly has control of the team. He was active on both ends, got several steals by getting into passing lanes, and attacked the rim like a scorer. He’s got a bright season ahead of him.
- Dorenzo Hudson still has it. The senior knocked down his usual array of jump shots, and showed some explosiveness getting to the rim. Coming off an foot injury in 2010-11, Hudson will need to be the Hokies first or second scoring option.
- The Hokies have some shooters. With Malcolm Delaney gone to graduation, a good chunk of the Hokies scoring left. Freshman Robert Brown showed some serious chops shooting the ball, and Jarell Eddie looks like he could be a solid option from the wing.
- The big men, while not all that proven, performed well. Cadarian Raines looks improved in the low post, showing off a couple nice jump hooks and even a tip-in off a missed shot. Victor Davila is going to do what he does, and he hasn’t lost anything in the offseason. Backup forward C.J. Barksdale only scored once, but he’s a nice option defensively. J.T. Thompson, who also missed all of last season with a knee injury, will provide leadership, but he’s admitted he’s not all the way back to 100 percent.
- Dorian Finney-Smith might not fill up the stat sheet, but he’ll affect the game in a lot of different areas. We’ve heard from his teammates that he’s active on the boards and gets others involved, and that’s exactly what we saw today. He didn’t take a shot this morning, but had two nice interior passes to Davila that led for dunks or layups.
- Tyrone Garland might not be your typical backup point guard, but he can score the ball. He finished with nine points, but turned the ball over a couple times that led to easy buckets. He’ll likely split time with freshman Marquis Rankin at the backup spot, and it’ll be interesting to see how Seth Greenberg splits up the minutes behind Green.
Erick Green: 20
Dorenzo Hudson: 16
J.T. Thompson: 3
Cadarian Raines: 6
C.J. Barksdale: 2
Tyrone Garland: 9
Robert Brown: 14
Dorian Finney-Smith: 0
Jarell Eddie: 8
Victor Davila: 10
Follow me on Twitter: @MattJonesCT